Here’s the garden shed a few weeks ago, showing the newly planted, newly mulched border in front of it. See my problem? Yup, the mud splashed up on the side, and I knew my newly planted babies would be pounded by rain falling from the roof. So, I put on guttering. Never having done it before, it took forever, but I’m proud to say I finally figured it out. Before we go on, please notice the lovely foxgloves on the left, Polkadot Polly, which have been blooming for months! I’m thrilled with them.
I kept looking at the shed, thinking it needed more pizzazz. Shutters would be lovely, so while I was at the store getting guttering supplies, I priced a set of vinyl shutters….$31!!! That seemed rather pricey for such a small window, so I decided to wait. Good decision, because when I went to the Madison Co. Master Gardeners’ Spring Plant sale, I found this very satisfactory set for $2.00!
By sawing them in half, they were a perfect fit, and only needed cleaning, a coat of primer, and a coat of green paint.
I used some lumber left from the shed’s siding to make a windowbox.
And painted it to match and planted it with flowers. Here’s what it looks like now!
Much, much better. And notice how those foxgloves are STILL blooming. And that lovely guttering! And those half-shutters left from the project are getting lots of use as shades for new plantings here and there in the potager. That’s one of the best $2.00 investments I’ve ever made. Now on to other projects!