Replanted…whew!

Well, it’s not happy, but it’s planted!

Interesting how the dozens and dozens of clumps of plants dug in only 30 minutes (see this post if you missed it!) took over 8 hours to replant! Also interesting if you know me well, that I didn’t take time to actually count the plants dug, or do any labeling when digging, or make a plan/map before replanting! There were several reasons for rushing, most of them weather related. The forecast was for plummeting temperatures, strong winds, rain storms followed by snow. Ugh! These plants were already unhappy enough without being out of the ground.

So, why did it take so long? Well, all the beautiful soil that’s taken 30 years to develop through constant mulching and amendments ended up in the bottom of the hole. All the horrible, dense, sticky clay ended up on top, and was SO compacted by the machine and tromping that it often took my jumping six or eight times on the shovel just to dig a 4-6″ deep hole. Obviously that wasn’t deep enough for most clumps, so this jumping had to be repeated multiple times per hole. And, it was clumps, big baseball sized clumps that had to be broken up in order to put it around plant roots. I should have taken time to use potting soil, but I didn’t and I’m sure I’ll pay for that in years to come and in plant losses.

Sometimes I’d start to dig in what appeared to be an empty spot, only to find a patch of irises or other perennial under 6″ of clay, so I’d stop and take time to rescue them by removing as much of the clay covering them as I could.

And, since some of the clumps dug out were quite large and needed to be divided anyway, I used this opportunity while they were out of the ground to do so. There are lots and lots of perennials to be potted for the garden club plant sale, when there’s time!

Here’s what is leftover…

The photo above shows most of what didn’t get replanted. Not pictured are the clumps to be potted for the plant sale. The rain was beginning, and frankly, I was just tuckered out. There are a few clumps of tulips, and I may just put them in some pots as well to use as “decor” around the front door if they actually recover and bloom. You can also see from the pile bottom left, what a lousy job I did digging up those large clumps of daffodils, slicing off lots of stalks from the bulbs.

Another pile of severed daffodils…sigh!

So it will be interesting to see what survives and how it all actually looks in the future. I attempted to make some groupings, but not knowing what colors were included in the “group” it may not be very effective. There were also just single daffodils that fell off clumps in the process that were just planted two or three per hole…it was just too much work to dig single holes…so they will be a “mixed” bouquet in the ground!

I’m most worried about the roses. Although I tried to take extra care digging and replanting them, two had already begun to leaf out. One had been in the path of the leak, and may have already drowned. I gave them compost in their holes and mounded up some mulch around them, so we’ll see… Also totally missing is the lovely patch of “Gold Moss” feverfew, which I adore. I have no clue where they went, probably in the bottom of the hole. I do have a few plants started in the basement that were for the plant sale, but which I will now keep.

The night after the replant, it dropped to 20 degrees F. There was just barely any rain, which I’d hoped would water the plants in around the roots better, and also barely any snow (not enough to provide any insulation) so the poor babies had a rough night. Then the winds howled and howled. We certainly seem to have more and stronger wind events than I recall in prior decades, and that’s really hard on plants. But, at least they are back in the ground and hopefully on the road to recovery! And hopefully, that job will never have to be done again!!!

About carolee

A former professional herb and lavender grower, now just growing for joy in my new potager. When I'm not in the garden, I'm in the kitchen, writing, or traveling to great gardens.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Replanted…whew!

  1. jorjagrael says:

    You can only do so much! I think it’s an excellent job, all things considered!

    Like

  2. bcparkison says:

    I do hope that after all your work things turn out better then expected. Some time they do.

    Like

  3. Su says:

    That was a LOT of work! I hope your plants forgive you, and survive/thrive despite the beating they have taken. May the remainder of this spring be kind to you!

    Like

  4. Jo+Shafer says:

    So glad that bother is over for you! What was that old Doris Day song back in the day? “Que Sera Sera” ~ whatever will be, will be. I’m interested to see how this garden bed turns out in another month.

    Like

  5. Going Batty in Wales says:

    You must have been exhausted! You have done what you can and whilst the border may look distinctly odd and not at all what you want for this year, there is always the chance to do a little judicious rearranging next winter. And a perfect excuse to buy more plants to replace any lost.

    Liked by 1 person

  6. Amy Rich says:

    Oof! What a lot of work! Good luck as you start to see what recovers and continue to adjust.

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s